Wednesday, September 27, 2006

The Results

Scene 1

Setting: Fall, 2006. Late morning. A small well lighted kitchen in the military housing of Jackson Park. Spread out across the kitchen table are various scrapbooking papers and supplies. There is also a stack of baby and parenting magazines piled on the left side of the table.

As lights come up we see seated at one end of the table is a young black woman cutting pictures from torn out magazine articles. Laying on the table to her right is a modern cell phone.

(Sound of cell phone ringing)

The young girl puts down her work and picks up the cell phone. She looks curiously at the number before deciding to open the phone and answer the call.

Michelle: Hello?

Dr. Gotkins: Yes, hello. May I speak to Michelle Mattingly, please?

Michelle: This is she.

Dr. Gotkins: Hello, Michelle. This is Dr. Gotkins from Madigan Hospital. How are you?

Michelle: I'm doing good doctor. How are you.

Dr. Gotkins: I'm doing fine, thank you. I wanted to let you know that I just got the results back from your amnio. And... everything looks normal. The baby is fine.

Michelle: Oh, thank God. Yeah!

Dr. Gotkins: Yes, very good news! I know you're glad to hear it. Sorry it took so long for the results to come back. So, did you know or want to know what you are having?

Michelle: The ultrasound said we are having a girl.

Dr. Gotkins: Okay, good. I didn't want to say anything. I didn't know if you wanted to find out or if you wanted it to be a surprise. And yes, it is a girl. The test came back with confirmed results its a girl.

Michelle: Cool.

Dr. Gotkins: So, do you have any questions for me? Any concerns?

Michelle: No. None that I can thing of at the moment.

Dr. Gotkins: Okay. Well, congratulations on a healthy baby. And I'm sure I'll be seeing you soon. Have a good day, Michelle.

Michelle: You too. Bye.

Dr. Gotkins: Bye.

Michelle closes the phone. Then reopens it. She scrolls through the menu on the phone until she finds what she is looking for. She presses another button on the phone and then puts the phone back up to her ear.

Ray: Hello. You've reached the USS Columbus. YN2 Mattingly speaking. This is an unsecure line. How can I help you mame or sir?

Michelle: Hi Honey.

Ray: Hey, what's up?

Michelle: I just got off the phone with Dr. Gotkins.

Ray: Okay. And....?

Michelle: And she said everything came back normal. And we are definitely having a girl.

Ray: Cool, cool. Did she say anything else?

Michelle: Well, she just apologized for the results getting back so late. That's all. So, yeah, our girl is healthy.

Ray: I knew she would be.

Michelle: Well, I guess we can spread the word now.

Ray: Yeah, I'll call mom later. She can spread the word for us.

Michelle: Cool beans.

Ray: Well, let me let you go honey. I've got to get back to work.

Michelle: Okay.

Ray: Love you. Bye.

Michelle: Love you too. Bye.

Michelle closes the phone and lays it back down on the kitchen table. She picks up her scissors and paper and resumes cutting. The audience can see a bright smile spreading across her face as she continues to cut.

(Lights fade out)

End of Scene 1

No comments: