Thursday, May 25, 2006

The Discovery

For the past few weeks I have been feeling nauseous off and on at work. I really didn't think much of it. My body usually has an allergic reaction to working. But seriously, I just though I was catching a cold.

I really didn't want to think I was pregnant because I though that way last month only to take the home pregnancy test and stare at that one little pink line for a long time before accepting the fact that the second pink line was never going to show. It was not that I was expecting to get pregnant so quickly, but 15 year old girls seem to be getting pregnant just by looking at a guy too hard. So, yeah, I guess I was expecting the power of marriage to bring forth a child the moment we said we wanted one.

It wasn't easy for me to hide my disappointment from Ray. He understood, gave me a huge and commented that our previous attempts were just warm-ups. Now we would get down to some serious baby making.

Ray can read me like a book, so there was just no way of hiding my nausea from him. We both talked about me taking another pregnancy test. I decided to wait until May 11th to take the test. Ray and I were both in the wedding party of our friends David and Elisa's wedding. We would be flying out to Missouri for the wedding the afternoon of May 11th. I figured if I took the test that morning and it came back negative, I would be too excited about the wedding to get bummed out.

On May 11th, the girls ( Wylie Cat and Wylie Kit ) work me up for their usual 6 am feeding. I took the pregnancy test and my jaws just dropped. Instantly two pink lines showed up! I kept staring at it, thinking the test must be faulty and that the second line would disappear any moment now. But it didn't. I was pregnant!

I had never really planned how I was going to tell Ray. Right now he was still asleep in bed. I quickly remembered a Winnie the Pooh rattle I had in my closet. It was suppose to be a gift for someone else I knew that was expecting. I quickly came up with a plan. I would take the rattle, lay it on my pillow and when Ray rolled over and opened his eyes he would see the rattle and my smiling face. It was a perfectly sweet idea!

I walked out of the bathroom and started rambling through my closet. Obviously I made a lot of noise because when I emerged from the closet, Ray was wide awake and staring right at me. He looked at me and asked if I took the pregnancy test yet. I was frozen stiff. I didn't know what to say or do. I tried to think of something to do, but my brain is only capable of coming up with one good idea before breakfast. So, with one last mental strain and Ray looking right at me, I did the first thing that popped into my mind. I tossed the rattle at Ray's head.

Didn't I just say I can only come up with one good idea before breakfast. No, it was not romantic or cute, but it did get the point across. Ray asked why I was throwing things at his head. He looked at the rattle, I jumped on the bed saying we were pregnant and then Ray responded in the most Rayish way possible. "Cool", he said. And then he rolled over and went back to sleep.

A couple of hours later we were both up and getting packed. Ray said it took his sister Corinna five to six different pregnancy test before she was sure she was pregnant, so we shouldn't trust the results of just one test. My hubby then went to the store to get another test and a few other items we needed for the trip. He came back, I took the test, he timed it for three minutes just like the instructions said and we waited. Three minutes later it was once again confirmed that I was pregnant.

We finished packing, had lunch and took the ferry over to the airport. We dealt with ticket changes, security checkpoints, finding our way through the maze that is SeaTac airport and finally making our way to the plane just as they were starting to board. And then sometime between Seattle and Denver where we would meet our connecting flight, while I was resting on Ray's arm it finally hit him - "We're pregnant".

No comments: