Thursday, January 18, 2007

Christmas

Ray flew back to Washington the evening of December 22nd. It was so nice to have him home. I was still in shock with the realization that I would be spending Christmas with my hubby. I had been all prepared to spend a quite Christmas alone. (Well, not really alone. There are the cats and a constantly moving baby in my tummy).

Christmas eve morning found us at church enjoying our first ever lighting of the Advent candles. Ray was so excited to be given the honor of lighting all five candles. We spent the rest of Christmas eve cleaning the house, putting up the Christmas tree and discussing my most recent visit to Madigan Hospital. We unloaded the wonderful Christmas presents that Ray's family sent us and placed them under the tree. We were very proud of ourselves this year. We actually managed to send out Christmas cards. Due to the fact I was in the hospital they got mailed out a little late, but as long as they arrived before New Years we figured it would still be okay.

That evening we attended the midnight service at the local United Methodist Church. It was wonderful singing our way through the Nativity story. The music was great and the service was just as we like it- short and sweet. The service ended with the lighting of the candles and a blessing for a wonderful new year.

After service we stopped by Shari's, a local diner and filled ourselves with some midnight snacks. Then we went home and crashed in bed like two kids who stayed up way too long waiting for Santa.

Christmas morning almost came and went without a creature stirring in the Mattingly house. It was almost noon before we got up and came downstairs to open gifts.

Because of the extra blood in my system due to the pregnancy I have developed arthritis in both hands. This has resulted in my hands going painfully numb to the point that I can not do simple things like tie my shoes or open a can of soda. So, after laughing over the site of me trying to remove a bow from a gift, Ray took on the job of pre-opening all my gifts for me.

Later that evening we had our friends- David, Elisa and Crystal over for Christmas dinner. Overall, it turned out to be a surprisingly peaceful Christmas. As Christmas day came to a close Ray and I both realized that this may be the last peaceful Christmas we will have for a very long time. Which just made this Christmas all the more special!

No comments: