Saturday, September 26, 2009

San Jose Liver Walk

On September 12th joined in the American Liver Foundation Liver Life Walk in San Jose. I was invited to be a guest speaker at the walk. I also had my own team- the Mattingly Miracle Team, that participated in the walk. Below are some pictures from the walk along with a copy of the speech I gave.

I have been asked to speak again at the Liver Life Walk in San Francisco on October 10th.

Chilling out with my peeps


Telling my story before the walk

Walking, of course!
These are the T-shirts that were given out to the walkers. My shirt was given to those who either are living with liver disease or who had a liver transplant.


Our friend, Seth, helped carry our team sign which was a big poster of John with the words, 'Mattingly Miracle' on the left side and 'For John' on the right side.
Here is a copy of the speech that I gave:


Hello everyone. My name is Michelle Mattingly and I would like to share with you the reason I am here today.

On August 3, 2008 I walked into Stanford Hospital with what I though was a stomach flu. At the time I was 6 months pregnant and everything was going okay. We only came to the labor and delivery as a precaution. If I had not been pregnant I would not have gone to the hospital at all.
In the next 24 hours I would slip into a coma as my liver began to shut down. I had acute liver failure. My life and the life of my unborn child was slowly ticking away. My husband was advised to start planning funeral arrangements for us. On August 8th, with only hours remaining, a rare back-to-back C-section and liver transplant was performed to save both our lives.
Our son, John, fought for the next six months outside the womb, but lost his battle in February of this year.
Today, I walk in memory of John, in thankfulness of the doctors who had the courage to do the impossible and for the hope that one day we can know the answers that will help save another mother from facing what I have gone through.

Despite all the testing done, to this day, my doctors still do not know why my normal healthy liver suddenly failed. The reason is because there are more questions then answers when it comes to liver disease.
Too much stigma, stereotypes and myths surround liver disease. And for far too long these misconceptions have gone on unchallenged. This has resulted in lack of funding, inadequate research, and poor public knowledge of liver health.
Liver disease should no longer be hidden in the background like a dirty little secret. Through the American Liver Foundation we can finally push this disease to the forefront of medical research and bring an end to the over 30 million Americans suffering from this disease.
Although the numbers of those suffering from liver disease are staggering, the most important numbers are the ones I see before me today. Survivors, family, friends, medical professionals- it is your numbers and your support of the American Liver Foundation that will help bring hope those who continue to suffer in silence.

Many people have causes that they care about. But it takes a special kind of courage and determination to take action for what you believe in. I want to thank you all for the courage and strength to be here today. It is an honor walking with you. Thank you.


No comments: