Friday, October 23, 2009

Oktoberfest- Bring on the beer!

Yes, on Sunday, October 18th, after getting my blood drawn, Ray, Tia and I went to the one place a liver transplant recipient should never be allowed to go- Oktoberfest.

Downtown Campbell, is host to one of the best Oktoberfest in the state. The party draws over 40,000 people over the two-day event.

There were dancers dressed in authentic German folk costumes, accordion players and yodelers that had just returned from Oktoberfest in Munich. Arts and craft booths filled over two blocks of the downtown area. Then there was the food. It was everywhere! Giant fire roasted turkey legs, potato pancakes, apple strudels, liver & potato dumplings, bratwurst of every meat and size, (you could have a foot long veggie brat if you liked), and tons of homemade sauerkraut.

The fest happened to coincide with the farmer's market, so there was also fresh made hummus, eggs gathered from a chicken coop that morning, bushels of elephant garlic, (those things are huge), and loads of other fresh vegetables, fruits and flowers.

Believe is or not, this was the first time that Ray and I have celebrated Oktoberfest. We always somehow managed to be a part or busy with something else more pressing this time of the year. So, we quickly made up for the lost time by diving right into some good German beer! Below are a couple of pictures from the party.

Ray: "I like my beer like I like my women- dark."
Michelle: "I like my beer like I like my men- rich and creamy!"
Tia: " Uncle Ray! Auntie Joi! You two are just nasty!"


Mmmmmmm. . . . white meat.
(No, not my husband. Get your mind out of the gutter! I was referring to the bratwurst. It was white because it was pork. You filthy minded person. Shame on you!)

No comments: